Australia is a well-developed country with a multicultural society. Australia has a diverse culture and lifestyle that reflects its liberal democratic traditions and values. Australia is a product of a unique blend of established traditions and new influences. In Australia, all the social and cultural events are celebrated with much enthusiasm and joy. Father's Day is one such social event which is celebrated with the same zeal and enthusiasm as in other parts of the world. What is obtrusive about Father's Day in Australia is its unique time of celebration. Unlike in US and several other countries where Father's Day is celebrated on the third Sunday of June, Father's Day in Australia is celebrated on the first Sunday of September. People on this day express their gratitude for their fathers and thank them for all their care and support. Children gift different crafts and chocolates or other gifts to honor their dearest dad. Though the occasion is celebrated privately in households, several clubs and societies take an initiative to organize some programs to encourage people. Breakfast meeting for families is a common feature of Father's Day celebration and tradition in Australia. Different games and activities are also organized on Father's Day to strengthen the bond between the father and the child.
Father's Day Celebrations in Australia
Father's Day is not a public holiday in Australia. It falls on a Sunday which is a day off for most of the workers and offices. The shopping places, cafes, restaurants and entertainment venues are all busy on Father's Day, especially in areas where Sunday trading is allowed.
What Do People Do
Do you want to know about Fathers Day in Australia? Read on and get to know more about Father's Day celebrations and traditions in Australia.
Father's Day in Australia
- People in Australia love to go out to parks, entertainment venues like a theatre, zoo or any other place of interest on the occasion of Father's day.
- Children love to gift handmade or purchased cards with messages attached, to their dad. They take special interest in making and crafting beautiful cards for their dads.
- Presents such as food baskets, chocolates, clothing, equipments facilitating hobbies or gift vouchers are pretty common in Australia.
- People in Australia love to go out for a meal with their family or prepare their favorite recipes at home and relax and spend some quality time with their family.
- Fathers and children also like going out on adventure trips or for an adventurous sport on the occasion of Father's Day.
- There are positive and inspirational Father's Day stories published in some magazines and newspapers. Television and radio programs may also have Father's Day specials during this period.
- Father's Day is also taken as an opportunity to raise funds for charity purposes. Many charity activities like fun runs or purchasing special gifts are conducted to raise funds for causes such as services for the visually impaired or research on prostate cancer.